Friday, April 06, 2007

Reborn

It’s Good Friday, and I have to say it is truly a Good Friday. I am grateful today to be alive, sober, loved by family and friends, and blessed by my Higher Power.

I was talking with my sister Nancy last night about Easter plans. I don’t go to church a lot, but from time to time I like to go with her. We’ll go together on Easter morning to celebrate the resurrection. I can really relate to the resurrection. So many people in the fellowship have been resurrected, given a new life. We bring people back from the dead. I’ve seen miracles first hand.

Nancy and I were talking about the symbolism of Jesus riding into Jerusalem on a donkey. It is such a humble beast, a beast of burden and poverty. I believe that’s how Christ carried his message: he carried it with humility to the “everyman”. I relate to that too. I have come to know and love people from all walks of life because our fellowship is loving and tolerant of “everyman”.

At the foundation of our program is the ability to choose and define our own Higher Power and our own concept of spirituality. It doesn't matter what religion we are (or aren't). It's a journey. We come together to grow along spiritual lines. Many of us have seen a lot of hell and we are looking for a little of heaven.

I am reading a book by Pema Chodron in which there is a story about understanding the nature of Heaven and Hell.
A big burly Samurai comes to a wise man and asks to be told about heaven and hell. The wise man says “Why should I tell a scruffy, disgusting, miserable slob like you?” The samurai starts to get purple in the face, his hair starts to stand up, but the wise man won’t stop. He says, “A worm like you? Why should I tell you anything?” Consumed by rage, the samurai draws his sword, and he is just about to cut off the head of the wise man, when the teacher says “that’s Hell.” The samurai, who is in fact a quite sensitive person, instantly gets it; he has just created his own hell. He was deep in hell. It was black and hot, filled with hatred, anger, self protection, and so much resentment that he was going to kill this man. Tears filled his eyes and he lovingly placed his palms together. The wise man said, "That is Heaven."

I think this mirrors what we learn as we work our twelve steps: the black hole of being stuck in our anger and resentments, and the bliss of submission to acceptance of our shortcomings.

Regardless of your religion I wish you a Happy Easter Sunday, and a celebration of the miracle of Resurrection.

We were Reborn
page 63 Big Book Alcoholics Anonymous