Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Came To Believe


When I was a kid my Dad told me he could get rid of a wart with magic. Now, I believed absolutely and unequivocally everything my Dad told me when I was young. Eventually I came to him with a little tiny wart on my thumb. He got what looked like an ordinary soup bean from the cupboard and took me out to the backyard. We stood out there in the corner for awhile, and then he very ceremoniously rubbed the bean on my wart, said some mumbo jumbo words and planted the bean in the corner of the yard. The wart went away.

That was my first experience with believing that my problem could be solved, without understanding how or why, and then getting results. I just thought my Dad was some kind of wizard.

Now, years later, I found out that warts disappear often, when practitioners use the amazing power of the subconscious mind. So much for magic.

Many doctors prefer to draw a circle around a wart using a magic “wart pen” rather than treat it with caustic acid. Why? Because the magic works. According to the British newsletter What Doctors Don’t Tell You the wart nearly always disappears. A high-tech variant that is effective in half the cases is “fake radiation”: the wart is treated while the machine is switched off. Apparently for adults, hypnosis also works.

When I first got sober the problems in my life were a lot worse than a tiny wart on my thumb. Nobody offered to rub a bean on them either. But I was told that I had to surrender my wreckage, my will, and my life unconditionally to the care of a power greater than myself. I was also told that I may not understand how or why, but I would see results. I was even “promised” results (pg 83 and 84 of the BB) and many of those promises have come true.

I’m the kind of person who likes to know the how and why of things. But I have to say there is such sweet relief in surrender. Maybe that is one of the definitions of being a “child of God”. We get to be child-like again. I can stop intellectualizing, stop questioning everything. I can just be that kid in the backyard again that believes with all of her heart that what her dad said was true.

We found that as soon as we were able to lay aside prejudice and express even a willingness to believe in a Power greater than ourselves, we commenced to get results pg 46 BB