Monday, February 26, 2007

Home


When I was a child our house backed up to an elementary school playground. At the end of the day they would remove the tether balls from their poles, leaving empty chains hanging free. On windy nights the chains on all of the poles would swing and slap the poles, sending a ringing chorus into the night. I fell asleep to that sound for years.

Today I have wind chimes hanging outside my bedroom window. Last night the wind blew. I laid in bed, closed my eyes and listened. It felt like home.

I cannot go back to that home, and would not if I could. I have a good life today, rich with blessings. But I can reflect back on what felt good about it and hold it close. My mom is aging, but there is still so much to share. We can start by listening to the wind chimes. Please come home Mom.